society was formed in 1979 by Mr Tom Langhorn, an inspector based in
Seaview Road bus depot Wallasey. The early members were mostly bus and
railway workers. The aim was to preserve and run the very first Leyland
Atlantean off the production line in 1958. Wallasey Corporation No 1,
registration FHF451, was exhibited at Earls Court Motor Show that year.
No. 1 was used regularly on routes around Wallasey until its withdrawal
in 1977. At that time it was owned by Merseyside Passenger Transport
Executive who had taken over operation of all passenger transport in
Merseyside in 1971. The bus passed into preservation in 1979 and has
been rallied and shown every year since by the 201 group.
The next vehicle to be
preserved by the group was former Birkenhead Corporation Transport No.
10, FBG910, a Leyland Titan PD2 which was built in January 1958.
This bus was based at Laird Street bus depot. Is survived after
withdrawal in 1974 being used as a training vehicle. The group acquired
the bus in 1982 and it has also been shown and rallied every year since
The third bus in the group is Leyland Atlantean B926 KWM. This was the
last registered short chassis Atlantean to be produced for Merseyside
PTE. The bus worked from Litherland, Walton & Green Lane depots in
Liverpool until it was transferred to Birkenheads Laird Street depot in
1991. The 201 group purchased the bus from Arriva in 2001 It joins the
other two group buses at rallies and shows.