Corporation Transport Fleet No 242, registration No BG8557, Purchased
in 1967, was one of a batch of 24 Guy Arab MK2 buses delivered January
1944. 242 was originally fleet n 324 when supplied with a wartime
"utility" body designed to use less resources and capable of being
produced by unskilled labour. Design features included wooden seats and
no opening windows.
In 1953 the chassis was re-bodied by Massey Brothers of Wigan and was
given the new fleet number of 242, the Gardner 5LX engine being
replaced with a Gardner 6LX at the same time.
Service continued until withdrawal in November 1969 when 242 was
purchased by a southern based preservation group. Years later, after
being moved from one storage place to another, 242 was finally donated
to Wirral Transport Museum by Paul Anderson in 2004. It was soon
restored by volunteers with the help of a grant from the National
Lottery, Veterans Reunited Home Front Recall Scheme.