Bookmark and Share
 
Transport Museum

Tramway Managers

site hit counter
 
visitors since 21st July 2005
 
201 Bus Group
 
93
105
152
242
54
106
DFG38
EOG200
ERG52
Green Goddess
201 Bus Group
Cars

Motorcycles
Model Railway

The society was formed in 1979 by Mr Tom Langhorn, an inspector based in Seaview Road Bus Depot, Wallasey. The early members were mostly bus and railway workers. The aim was to preserve and run the very first Leyland Atlantean off the production line in 1958. Wallasey Corporation No.1, registration FHF451, was exhibited at Earls Court Motor Show that year. No.1 was used regularly on routes around Wallasey until its withdrawal in 1977. At that time it was owned by Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive who had taken over the operation of all passenger transport in Merseyside in 1971. The bus passed into preservation in 1979 and has been rallied and shown every year since by the 201 Bus Group.

The next vehicle to be preserved by the group was former Birkenhead Corporation Transport No. 10, FBG910, a Leyland Titan PD2 which was built in January 1958. This bus was based at Laird Street bus depot. It survived after withdrawal in 1974 being used as a training vehicle. The group acquired the bus in 1982 and it has also been shown and rallied every year since then.

The third bus in the group is Leyland Atlantean B926 KWM. This was the last registered short chassis Atlantean to be produced for for Mersyside PTE and was given the fleet number of 1070. The bus worked from Litherland, Walton & Green Lane depots in Liverpool until it was transferred to the Laird Street depot, Birkenhead in 1991. The 201 group purchased the bus from Arriva in 2001. It joins the other  two group buses at rallies and shows.


Number 1
Number 10
1070



HOME